Install / Update / Uninstall
Installation of XnView can be done in two different ways: using the Setup program or ZIP archive. We recommend using the Setup program as this is simple to use and allows for easy installation and uninstallation. Installation using the ZIP archive can also be done but is not described here.
If XnView is not installed already on your computer, please proceed as described below.
- Download the XnView setup program from the internet to a temporary directory on your PC. You will find the current version of XnView on the XnView Website.
- Start the XnView setup program by double-clicking on the file in MS Explorer.
- Follow the on-screen instructions of the setup program.
XnView is constantly being improved and refined. New versions of XnView are free of charge for private users. If you have purchased licenses as private or commercial user, you are also entitled to download new versions of XnView without additional license fees.
If you already installed a version of XnView, and you want to replace this version with a new one, then you perform an update. Otherwise, if this is your first installation, see Installation.
Update requires you the uninstall the old version and then install the new in the same directory. Please note that your personal settings and bookmarks in XnView are not lost during update.
- Download the new version from the XnView Download Site. There are various versions available for download differing in size. Typically, the minimal version (without any additional languages, and without plug-ins) is sufficient.
- Uninstall/Uninstall XnView using the windows menu Start > Program > XnView > XnView Uninstall.
- Confirm the message box asking for confirmation for the uninstall by clicking the OK button. The program files, directories and registry entries of XnView are removed from your computer.
- Start the XnView setup program by double-clicking on the downloaded file.
- Follow the instructions of the setup program. During setup, you will be informed that the program directory already exists. Confirm this message box with Yes.
How To Uninstall XnView after it has been installed using the Setup Program:
Select the Windows menu Start > Program > XnView > XnView Uninstall.
- A message box will be displayed. If you want to continue uninstalling XnView choose Yes.
- XnView program files, directories and Registry entries on your computer are removed.
- Some configuration files may need to be deleted manually (xnview.ini and bookmark.ini) after the uninstall is finished.
How To Uninstall XnView after it has been installed using the Zip Archive:
- Delete the XnView Program directory and the files contained.
- Delete the file "xnview.ini" in the Windows directory (e.g. C:\Windows).
- If you have created any, delete any links or symbols to XnView in the Program Group.